Book Review: Tangled


Title:Tangled
Author: Emma Chase 
Publication Date: May 20th 2013
Publisher: Omnific Publishing
Series: Tangled
Book: 1
ASIN: B00CW665VI
Rating:


Drew Evans is a winner. Handsome and arrogant, he makes multimillion dollar business deals and seduces New York’s most beautiful women with just a smile. He has loyal friends and an indulgent family. So why has he been shuttered in his apartment for seven days, miserable and depressed? 

He’ll tell you he has the flu.

But we all know that’s not really true.

Katherine Brooks is brilliant, beautiful and ambitious. She refuses to let anything - or anyone - derail her path to success. When Kate is hired as the new associate at Drew’s father’s investment banking firm, every aspect of the dashing playboy’s life is thrown into a tailspin. The professional competition she brings is unnerving, his attraction to her is distracting, his failure to entice her into his bed is exasperating. 

Then, just when Drew is on the cusp of having everything he wants, his overblown confidence threatens to ruin it all. Will he be able untangle his feelings of lust and tenderness, frustration and fulfillment? Will he rise to the most important challenge of his life? 

Can Drew Evans win at love?


I cannot not review this book. It deserves a space in my blog even though I have read it weeks ago. This book has gotten under my skin and it's probably the best romance book I've read this year. I just can't help but love Drew and his point of view. 

Drew Evans. The walking sex on a stick until he met Katherine everyone-calls-me-Kate Brooks. He's the most adorable asshole I've ever met. He's the star of this book since he's the one telling how he became pussy-whipped. I can't give justice to how nicely Emma Chase created this character. He's one of the most unique character I've read in a long time and I'll probably not forget him. It's once in a blue moon that this kind of character is created and I can't help but smile and giggle everytime I think about him. I hhope this will be adapted as a movie. Okay, now I'm rambling. I just love his character. He can be very funny, competitive, a complete asshole sometimes, but can be as sappy as Noah of The Notebook. I love how when he can't properly explain things, he thinks of situations that can best explain it.

When he was explaining himself when he went out with a girl he met while he was busy pursuing Kate. Here's what he thought:

Maybe you'll understand my point of view if I put it this way. You brush your teeeth, right? Well, suppose your favorite toothpaste is Aquafresh. But the store is out. All they have is Colgate. What are you going to do? You're going to use Colgate, right? 

You may want to brush with Aquafresh, but when all is said and done, you use what you have to keep those pearly whites clean. see my way of thinking? Good.

I love his witty banters with Kate - how he sulks when he doesn't what he want and how he pouts when he tries to have a way with Kate.

"So," she asks, "did we decide on a movie?" 

She settles up against me, and my arm goes naturally around her. "I was thinking Braveheart." 

"Ugh. What is with that movie? Why are all men addicted to it?" 

"Ah, the same reason women are obsessed with the freaking Notebook. That is what you were going to suggest, right?" 

She smiles slyly, and I know I guessed right. 

"The Notebook is romantic." 

"It's fucking gay." 

She hits me in the face with the perfect pillo. 

"It's sweet. " 

"It's nauseating. I have friends who are flaming homosexuals - and that movie is too gay for them." 

She sighs dreamily. "It's a love story, a beautiful love story. The way everyone tried to keep them apart. But then, years later, they found each other again. It was fate." 

I roll my eyes. "Fate? Please. fate's a frigging fairytale, sweetheart. And the rest of the story is a bonfire of bullshit too. Real life doesn't work like that." 

"But that's -" 

"That's why the divorce rate is so high. Because movies like that give women unreasonable expectations." 

"Real guys don't think like Nolan or Niles or whatever the hell that douchebag's name was." 

"Noah." 

"And any man who would build a room in his house for some chick who blew him.off? Any man who would wait years for that same girl to show up at his door, knowing she was with someone else? He's not a man at all." 

"What is he?" 

"A big, hairy, unwaxed vagina."

I love how he talks with MacKenzie, especially when he tried to reason out why the kid should live with him.   

You're a stay at home mom. Which is commendable, don't get me wrong. But she should be exposed to career women too. And for God's sake, don't let her watch Cinderella. What kind of example is that? A mindless twit who can't even remember where she left her damn shoe, so she has to wait for some douchebag in tigjts to bring it to her? Give me a frigging break!

Mackenzie is also adorable. Especially when she relates about what his uncle had just said or done or when she talks about her classmates.

Mackenzie raises her hand proudly. "I have a bagina." 

I smirk. "Yes you do sweetheart. And someday, it's gonna help you rule the world." 

"Johnny Fitzgerald has a penis. He say his penis is better than my bagina." 

"Johnny Fitzgerald's an idiot. Vaginas beat penises every time. They're like kryptonite. Penises are defenseless against them."

Or this one:

I don't think Uncle Matthew can come, Momma. He been too busy bein' pussy whipped. Wha's pussy whipped, Daddy?

The book is written in a way that can catch the attention of the readers and will make the readers engrossed in the book. Believe me, once you started this book, you won't be able to stop until you finish it. It's full of quotable quotes that I'm sure all the readers will absolutely love. 

Tangled has all the necessary elements that will make the readers love it. You'll swoon over Drew, get annoyed with his attitude, fall in love with him when he tries to get Kate back, laugh with him when he thinks what every regular guy thinks, and cry with him when he got his heart broken. I can't explain how much I love this book. You have to read it yourself so you'll know what I'm talking about. I recommend this book to everyone - yes, even to the guys.



By day, Emma Chase is a devoted wife and mother of two who resides in a small, rural town in New Jersey. By night she is a keyboard crusader, toiling away the hours to bring her colorful characters and their endless antics to life. She has a long standing love/hate relationship with caffeine. 


Emma is an avid reader. Before her children were born she was known to consume whole books in a single day. Writing has also always been a passion and with the 2013 release of her debut romantic comedy, Tangled, the ability to now call herself an author is nothing less than a dream come true. 

Website | Twitter | Facebook | Goodreads



Labels: ,