Book Review: Losing It


Title: Losing It
Author: Cora Carmack
Type: Kindle Edition, 204 pages
Publication Date: October 15th 2012
ISBN13: 9780988393509
Rating: 


Virginity.

Bliss Edwards is about to graduate from college and still has hers. Sick of being the only virgin among her friends, she decides the best way to deal with the problem is to lose it as quickly and simply as possible-- a one-night stand. But her plan turns out to be anything but simple when she freaks out and leaves a gorgeous guy alone and naked in her bed with an excuse that no one with half-a-brain would ever believe. And as if if that weren't embarrassing enough, when she arrives for her first class of her last college semester, she recognizes her new theatre professor. She'd left him naked in her bed about 8 hours earlier.


I discovered this through Shelly Crane. I read some reviews about it too before finally reading it. I say this book is freaking hilarious and I enjoyed it so much. I love the awkward moments. Bliss'friends are so funny and cool. I love their dialogues and their crazy ideas.

The books started with Bliss confessing to Kelsey that she is  a virgin. Kelsey, being a bestfriend tried to end the issue by suggesting that they hit the bar and look for a guy that will ignite desire to her friend Bliss. She met Garrick after using the bathroom. They hit it off quickly and decided to take off.

THE AWKWARD MOMENT. Okay, so they're both absorbed in the moment. Then came the panic attack courtesy of Bliss of course and her ridiculous reason - her imaginary cat! I can't stop laughing while reading this scene. It was just so funny! Even the most stupid person won't believe that!



Then without thinking she ran out of the apartment not consciously knowing that she was practically naked. I love how the author wrote the funny scenes. It's like she got into the character mode and wrote the right words for her character.

It wasn't until I'd walked halfway across the parking lot that I realized:
  1. I wasn't wearing shoes.
    1. or a shirt.
  2. I didn't bring my keys.
    1. or anything really.
  3. I'd just left a complete stranger in my apartment.
    1. naked.
Whoever said one-night stands were supposed to be simple with no strings attached had clearly never met the disaster that was me.

Here's another scene I actually found funny.

Four.
That's the number of people who saw me hiding around the corner from my own apartment in just a skirt and a bra.
Eleven.
That's the number of ant bites I got on my shoeless feet.
Twenty-seven.
That's the number of times I was tempted to do myself physical harm because I am an IDIOT.
One. 
That's the number of times I tried not to cry, but failed.

I can just imagine what she looked like while she was lurking / hiking on her own apartment. It was like I was the one actually embarrassed.

Then of course the scene the next morning was like a kill-me-now moment. Imagine the person you almost had sex last night was actually your new theater professor. That sucks right? It's like




I enjoyed Bliss'clique. Rusty's my favorite. He's so gay and a natural born comedian. I loved his banters with Lindsay just like this one.

"Take notes, boys! The ladies always love a man who can play an instrument!"
Lindsay snorted, "Your instrument doesn't even like girls, Rusty!"
"Doesn't mean they don't like it!"

I also figured out about Cole. I know it's possible to have a guy bestfriend but this is a book so I figured there must be something fishy about him. Then there was Kelsey. She's a very good friend but sometimes she's really intolerable.

Then there's the forbidden Mr. Garrick Taylor. Who wouldn't love a guy with a British accent? He's like the forbidden fruit in the paradise. Even though they try to stop their feelings and desire for each other, they just can't seem to stop. I don't care what you say but this is what Garrick looks to me:


THEATER ARTS. This was a very big element to the story. The characters were all studying theater arts. I got to get an idea on what goes behind the scene. The auditions. The casting. The point of views of actors. Their anxieties when they don't get casted on a play. How they deal with their personal problems when their at work. How to act like nothing happened after acting on a very-not-so-you role. How they internalize to act their characters and a lot more.

There a little conflict in the story. Just between the two main characters. I was expecting for a scandal hoping that they would be found out, but there was none. I like the epilogue. It was cute and romantic especially when he hid the thing on her drawer. Just so you know, Bliss moved in with him after they graduated and they were still very much in love with each other. They're now working in the same play and they moved to Philadelphia to pursue their dreams of becoming actors.

As mush as I wast to give it a 5, I still find some lacking elements. So i'll settle for 4.

Labels: ,