Book Review: Chance Encounters


Title: Chance Encounters
Author: J. Sterling
Publication Date: April 2012
ISBN13: 9781463794385
Rating: 



Caroline Weber was a normal girl who thought she had her life figured out. After graduating from college in New York, she moved to San Francisco with her boyfriend, Clay. Everything in her life felt perfect. There wasn't anything she would change...

...until she met Jackson Parks.

Is it possible that a chance meeting with a stranger can make you question EVERYTHING you thought you wanted? Caroline tries to carry on with her life as if nothing has changed...but the truth is, nothing can ever be the same.


"Sometimes other hearts have to break in order to keep yours intact."

I must say that I'm really glad because new writers (indie writers) are finding courage to publish their books. I'm happy because I'm discovering new and refreshing stories every time I search goodreads for new books to read. One of these authors by the way is J. Sterling. I really have high expectations about this book after reading her The Perfect Game. And truly, she didn't disappoint me. I read this book in 3 hours. Yes, that's how great the book is. I cannot put down my Kindle once I started it.

DEDICATION. I love the dedication. It certainly was a good note to start the story.

This book is dedicated to anyone
who has been lucky enough to find
their soulmate in this world...
And everyone who has been
blessed enough to recognize them.

Do you agree with me? It's kind of sweet and romantic?

THE PLOT. The story line was a bit cliché but I still liked it. I like how the events turned. I wasn't rushed. It was just perfect. Jackson came into Caroline's life while boarding a plane back to San Francisco. They became quickly acquainted and felt comfortable towards each other. They felt something they have never felt before. They felt connected even thought they just met each other. The problem is Caroline has a boyfriend. Enter the mighty and perfect Clay. Will you give up a perfect life with your saint of a boyfriend with someone whom you just met? Someone who ignite new feelings from you? Someone who might be your soulmate..


CAROLINE WEBER. She's a successful woman who works in a marketing firm. She has her life planned out including her future with Clay until she met Jackson. I love her even though she really made a mess. I know what she did with Jackson while still with Clay doesn't fit right into my moral code of conduct but I think I understood her. She really tried hard to fight her feelings for Jax but I guess even before she boarded that plane, things were really meant to change. You really can't fight fate. If it's meant to be, then it really is. She really should have been honest with Clay thought but then who in her right mind would leave her almost perfect life for someone whom you weren't sure returns your feelings too?

CLAY. He's Caroline's boyfriend. I know that he wasn't the right guy for Caroline. I guess Caroline needed more spontaneity in her life. They were always predictable. When they wanted to celebrate, Clay always brings her to a fancy restaurant without asking what she wants. What I admire about him is the way he forgave Caroline. I know it's difficult considering that he was the aggrieved party and I know it had taken a lot of strength for him to give forgiveness but he still did. Somehow it dawned on him how she actually felt. He doesn't deserve Care as much as Care doesn't deserve him. He deserves his own dose of happiness.

JACKSON PARKS. He's a graduate student who studies about farming. He's a simple guy who grew in a farm. I like how humble he is when he spoke to Caroline about his work. I loved him even more when I learned about the history of the heart charm he has given Caroline. He was really meant for Clair and I'm glad for that. 

BAILEY.  I love her! She's so full of wisdom and she always seem to know what Caroline needed to hear. 

TRACEY. If Bailey is full of optimism, she's the opposite. She's really pessimistic about Caroline and Jax. She prefers Clay because he's familiar and he's what she's used to.

ALEX. He's the male version of Bailey. He's Jax's bestfriend. Like Bailey, he believes that Jax and Caroline have a future together if the only believe. I love how he gave comfort to Jax and how he became an instant friend to Caroline.

TOMMY. As Jackson puts it, he's the 'love' hater. I know he's afraid Jax might get hurt because it's the first time he saw his best friend get serious with a woman. So he did his best to show his disgust towards Caroline.

THE HEART CHARM. So there was a story behind the heart charm Jackson gave Caroline. I really wished he told her what the heart meant. It would have been easier for Caroline to decide who to choose.

THE EPILOGUE. Wow! The ending was perfect. No explanations. It's good to know that there are still authors who write beautiful epilogues. I'm a sucker for a happy ending. :)

Labels: ,