Book Review: London's Perfect Scoundrel


Title: London's Perfect Scoundrel (The second book in the Lessons in Love series)
Author: Suzanne Enoch

Synopsis:
     The ton gossips call him "Saint" -- but the Marquis of St. Aubyn has well earned his reputation as London's perfect scoundrel. Evelyn Ruddick knows she should avoid him at all costs -- but the strikingly beautiful lady wants to aid the children of the Heart of Hope Orphanage, and he heads the board of trustees. Evie is determined to teach the charming, arrogant man a lesson in compassion, but it won't be so easy -- especially since his touch is setting her desire aflame, making Evie yearn to submit to his passionate instruction ... The idea of joining in her "project" is unthinkable, but this enchantress refuses to give up! So what else is there for a self-respecting rake to do but seduce the lady? Yet soon it is he who is being seduced by Evie's tender heart and fiery blushes. Could the temptation of long, passionate nights in her arms bring about the impossible? Could the disreputable Saint at long last be reformed?
Thoughts on the Book:
     The story started out fine. I found it interesting especially the lessons written by Evelyn Marie. What brought me on reading this book is the blurb I've read in Goodreads. So I saved it on my phone without noting that it was part of a series. So if you want to read this, I advice you to please read the first book of the series about Viscount Dare and Lady Georgiana Halley so you can connect with them because they're also included in this book.
     Lord St. Aubyn is different from the previous male leads of historical romance because he really is a scoundrel. Even his friends doesn't trust him and he is banned in almost all the famous events in London.
      I also liked the fact that Enoch portrayed Eevie as a virgin but not as innocent as the other female leads. (SPOILER ALERT: She knows what sex is! Haha. Considering that female leads were always portrayed as purely innocent without any knowledge of what happens in bed between a husband and a wife.)
      I find it sexy when Michael calls Eevie, Evelyn Marie. There's a certain classiness into it.
      I could have given this book a five but this book lacks something. It failed to give a climactic moment where I could savor their union as boyfriend and girlfriend. There are people who kept on throwing bricks at their path so they won't end up together. I was kinda disappointed that it was only in the last chapter where Michael and Eevie ended up together. 

Quotes from the Book:
"1. Never interrupt a lady when she is speaking to you, as if what you have to say is more important."
"2. If you ask for an opinion, expect to receive one, and don't make fun of it."
"3. Gentlemanly behavior isn't just opening doors: to make an impression, you have to be concerned over a lady's needs at least as much as your own."
"4. Don't assume, when a lady wants to take up a task or a cause, that is just a hobby." 
"I told you I didn't have a heart. I do have one. I just didn't know it until I met you. You are my light. My soul craves you, and I love you with every ounce of the heart you've awakened in me. I...I could live without you but I wouldn't want to. Will you marry me, Evelyn Marie?" 
Rating: 4/5

Labels: ,