FANGIRLING 101: Korean Male Actor Pick #9



Hyun Bin

     Hyun Bin (Korean: 현빈, also romanized as Hyeon Bin) (born Kim Tae Pyung on September 25, 1982) is a South Korean actor. He is best known for his lead roles in the dramas My Name is Kim Sam Soon in 2005, and Secret Garden in 2010. Hyun shot to stardom in 2005 when he appeared in the hit drama My Name is Kim Sam Soon with Kim Sun-ah. It was a success with an average rating of over 37% and 50.5% for the finale. He won the Top Excellence award at the MBC Drama Awards. In 2008 he took the leading role in The World That They Live In where he played television PD Jung Ji-Oh, opposite Song Hye-Kyo who played television PD Ju Jun-Young.
     From November 2009 to March 2010 Hyun filmed with Tang Wei in Late Autumn (2010). It is a remake of a 1966 Korean film with the same name, directed by Kim Tae-Yong. Late Autumn was shot in Seattle, Washington.
     In 2010 he starred in Korean drama Secret Garden in which he portrayed a young and arrogant department store owner who falls in love with a penniless stunt woman played by Ha Ji-won. He also contributed to the soundtrack with "That Man", which peaked at number one in eight Korean music portals. In February 2011 his film, Come Rain, Come Shine, premiered In Competition at the 61st Berlin International Film Festival.
     On 7 March 2011, Hyun enlisted in the Marine Corps in Pohang, Gyeongsangbuk-do Province to serve 21 months of compulsory military service. He is due to be discharged on 6 December 2012.

***
TV Series

Secret Garden (SBS, 2010)
Friend, Our Legend (2009)
The World That They Live In (KBS2, 2008)
The Snow Queen (KBS2, 2006)
My Name is Kim Sam-Soon (MBC, 2005)
Ireland (MBC, 2004)
Nonstop 4 (MBC, 2003)
Bodyguard (KBS2, 2003)

Movies

Late Autumn (2010)
I’m very Happy (2008)
A Millionaire’s First Love (2006)
Daddy Long Legs (2005)
Spin Kick (2004)
Shower (2002)

***
He starred opposite Kim Sun Ah in My Name is Kim Sam-Soon. I haven't watched the series though. It's just after I watched Secret Garden that I became interested so I googled him. And that's when I realized that he was that guy in Sam Soon. 



***
I have watched one of the movies he starred in. It's entitled A Millionaire's First Love. And boy-oh-boy, the guy doesn't look a bit like Hyun Bin. I never realized it was him until recently. I love this movie. It's a tearjerker. 




***
And of course, who haven't watched Secret Garden? I so love this drama. It's funny. It's heart-wrenching. It absolutely has everything you want in a drama. Plus the actors are great too. It has Hyun Bin and Ha Ji Won. It's perfect!


***
Remember his track suit jacket? :DD


***
I like his team-up with Ha Ji Won. They make a great couple. They have a chemistry actually.


***

He enlisted to army shortly after Secret Garden was finished. I like his new look and hair cut. It suits him.

Labels: